Looking for breastfeeding tips to increase milk supply? Here are my 4 tips for you!
If you are a new mom or mom to be then these tips to increase breast milk supply will benefit you.
Motherhood is a great blessing, and it comes with so many responsibilities.
However, if you want to give a healthy life to your baby, then breastfeeding is vital.
Though breastfeeding isn’t an easy thing, and it could be stressful for new moms.
There could be many reasons for which new moms are facing issues of less milk supply.
“Breastmilk isn’t always easy, but it’s always worth it.”
It doesn’t matter if you are a new mom; the first 4-6 weeks are essential for breastfeeding success. However, here one question crossed your mind: “am I producing ample breast milk?”.
But you can adopt breastfeeding tips for producing more milk. Along with this, it is vital to understand the highs, lows and leads to boost breast milk supply.
But before heading further, it is crucial to know the answer to “how will you get to know if the milk supply isn’t ample.
What are the signs that demand some tips to increase the milk supply?
Suppose you think that you have enough milk, but your baby can still struggle to get enough supply. However, it’s a common thing during the first few weeks.
So, here are the signs that will tell that baby isn’t getting enough milk;
- It’s normal for the babies to lose 5%-7% mass during the first few days. But sometimes the baby could lose up to 10% of the weight. However, after this period, the baby should gain between 20-30 grams of weight. So, if the baby isn’t gaining weight, then it means that milk supply isn’t ample.
- If the baby has dark color urine, jaundice, and dry mouth, the baby is dehydrated. However, fever, vomiting, overheating, and diarrhea is other common signs of less breast milk supply. If you notice any of these signs, then you need tips to increase milk supply.
- In the end, keep the proper check at the number of poos and wees of the baby. However, if you notice anything unusual, then immediately seek medical help.
What are the tips to increase breast milk supply?
“Breastfeeding isn’t a choice; it’s the responsibility.”
After assessing the right situation, it’s time to move out for the solution. However, there are the following types of tips to boost breast milk supply.
- Tips to increase milk supply with a breast pump
- The usage of foods that help to boost the milk supply
- Hands-on tips to boost breast milk supply
- Nursing more to boost breast milk supply
- Natural breastfeeding tips for producing more milk
- Ultimate Breastfeeding Class
However, we now discuss each method in detail to give more knowledge to the new moms or moms.
Increase milk supply with the breast pump
It’s an instant tip if you want to increase the milk supply in the first five days of birth. However, you can use the double electric breast pump that comes with the initiation technology for this.
My favorite and really good breast pump is Medela Breast Pump.
In short, it’s the best pump that works best and imitates the way a baby stimulates the breast. Above all, it a proven method and tip to boost breast milk supply.
However, here is the following information that you should adopt before using a breast pump;
- Once you succeed in extracting the milk, now double pumping helps to get more milk in less time. Apart from this, this method drains the breasts, which ultimately helps to keep milk supply better.
- Though every mom is different, it’s a good practice to extract the milk supply after every one or two hours.
- However, after using the breast pump, don’t worry if the milk supply is still less. After regular pumping, the milk will increase gradually. So, try to do this practice at nighttime when the level of milk-producing hormones prolactin high.
Food that helps to boost milk supply
Diet is the thing that has the utmost importance, especially when you are feeding your baby. Thus, it is one of those tips to boost breast milk supply.
Through breast milk, you ensure that baby is getting enough nutrients and minerals.
However, for this, the mother needs to keep the food intake sound. In short, it’s better to improve your breast milk production by eating food.
Here are the things that you should eat to enhance breast milk;
- Green papaya acts as an agent for producing more milk. Along with this, it has vitamins like A, B, C, and E.
- Though avocado is expensive, it helps to boost milk production. The omega-three fatty acids and omega-six fatty acids help to increase milk production.
- Strawberries and bananas are those that are rich with nutrition. These fruits have vitamins, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Along with this, these fruits help to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day.
Along with all of these things, there are many other eatable things to boost breast milk production.
However, some of the items are as under;
- Blueberries and rockmelon
- Lean meat and poultry
- Oatmeal or oat milk
But it would help if you keep in mind that you need to avoid oranges, kiwi, pineapple, lemon, lime, and grapefruit. Apart from this, you can’t eat the prunes and cherries to enhance the milk supply.
Hands-on pumping to boost the breast milk supply:
During my breastfeeding journey, I came to realize that breastfeeding is an on-demand game. This means you have to remove milk from your breasts to send signals to your body to produce more milk.
One way to do this is pumping! Pumping is a lifesave for a busy mom.
You can simply pump one breast, while the baby latches on the other. You can also pump between or after each nursing session.
This only works well when you are having a really really good pump. This is super important!
If the pumping and change in eating habits aren’t working well, you can adopt these tips to increase milk supply.
Some facts show that you can raise a significant amount of milk with just a 25-30-minute session with this. So, for this you need to adopt these steps;
- Massage your breasts (you can also use a breast massager if you feel you have clogged ducts)
- Double pump the breast using the expressing bra to keep the hands free
- However, while pumping, use your fingers and thumbs to press the breast properly. Now release it and then repeat. It will help if you do this until you see the flow of milk.
- Again, Massage the breast gently.
- In the end, finish the compression and drain the breasts as fully as possible.
Nursing More Increases Breast Milk Supply
I’ll be honest with you here. Nursing more is even better than pumping for increasing breast milk supply.
The best and easiest way to build up your milk supply is to feed your baby on demand and exclusively. Breast milk is digested way faster than formula. You need to ensure that you frequently breastfeed to increase your supply.
Avoid giving your child pacifiers and let them suckle at the breast instead. this will stimulate breasts to produce more milk.
But if you’re a new mom breastfeeding frequently can be hard as you will have sore nipples.
This can be hard especially with your new baby when your boobs are sore and it FEELS like the baby is nursing like forever! – we are often tempted to cut nursing sessions short. But you don’t have to do that because this can cut the milk supply.
For this, you can use a nipple shield to make it way easier, because it can make long sessions bearable.
If you’re out a lot, you can use a good nursing cover so that you don’t cut the feeding session and breastfeed your baby on demand.
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class
If you have tried and tested any of these tips and still having trouble breathing then this course will work like a charm.
This Ultimate Breastfeeding Class can make you a breastfeeding pro in 90 minutes.
Here are a few things you can learn in this course:
- The biggest mistake moms make that can cut the breast milk supply
- The most effective breastfeeding positions to get a good latch
- 2 simple ways to ensure your baby is getting enough milk supply
- Powerful breastfeeding strategies for producing more milk.
- 7 place to seek support and help
- …. and much more!
There are 13 videos in this course that you can stream on any device and you can learn how to breastfeed from the comfort of your own home in your Pjs.
You’ll get, The Ultimate Trouble Shooting Guide PDF, Ultimate Class Notes PDF, and the Little Black Book Of Breastfeeding Secrets PDF along with the course.
Read more about the ultimate breastfeeding class here.
Natural breastfeeding tips for producing more milk:
So, if any of the above methods aren’t working then there are lifestyle changing tips to increase the milk supply;
- The production of milk depends on demand and supply. However, the more you breastfeed the baby, then there will be more production of the milk.
- You can give your breast a gentle massage while breastfeeding the baby. It is one of the famous breastfeeding tips for producing more milk.
- Try to eat as much balanced food as possible and always stay hydrated.
- A good night’s sleep and proper resting routine are the things that will do wonders to increase milk production. Try to add sleep boosting foods in your diet.
- If the baby isn’t showing interest while breastfeeding, then offer both sides. In this way, you will stimulate more milk production.
- Lactation enhancement and a healthy diet are other most effective tips to boost breast milk supply. So, every new mom should try to consume the things that are rich in natural lactation.
- Your breast makes more milk when you feed the baby daily. However, if you skip the breastfeeding, then there wouldn’t be ample milk supply. So, don’t miss the feeding or give formula milk to the baby.
- Hold off the use of a pacifier.
- Above all, give more skin-to-skin to the baby. In this way, the baby will get attached to the mother, who ultimately helps moms increase milk supply. This is possible with babywearing as it has a lot of benefits!
Final Thoughts on Increasing Milk Supply
I really love talking about breastfeeding. It was an amazing experience for me and these simple tips helped me a lot.
I’m sure these breastfeeding tips for new moms that will help you increase your milk supply as well.
Still, if the things aren’t working and there is no use of any of the above tips to boost breast milk supply. Now, it is time to go for a consultation.
A good consultant is a person who can guide you about the things you need to do and the food you should eat. So, don’t compromise at the health of your baby and seek professional help.
Do have any other milk boosting breastfeeding tips for us? Let us know in the comments!
29 Best Postpartum Essentials For Moms For Quick Recovery
17 Surprising Postpartum Body Changes No One Tells You
20 Best New Mom Products On Amazon You Need
Don’t Forget To Pin It For Later!
6 Simple Tips to increase breast milk supply
I am the Wife, Mommy, & Blogger behind All Moms Blog learning to run my own home and raise up kids while chasing my dreams. I work to support, inspire, and encourage moms in the journey of motherhood to make their lives easier without losing your sanity.
I am not using the breast pump, but I think my milk flow is normal. However, searching for breast milk food and find this post. Really help me a lot. Thank you
Hi, Mary! I’m happy to know you found this post helpful 🙂
These are great ways to increase your supply! I loved nursing my babies, but it’s not always easy. Great to have so much help!
Hi Jen! Glad you found the post helpful.
Oh I’m definitely sharing this to my friends who will be giving birth soon! I wish I would’ve known this when my baby was breastfeeding. I tried so hard and felt bad that i couldn’t pump a lot.
I have used fennel and fenugreek to increase the supply of my breast milk.sometimes old remedies used by our mothers and grandmothers can be really helpful.